When the colder season fast approach, we need to make sure our heaters at home function properly. When winter finally arrives, we are warm and cozy inside. But with winter comes a few risks.
Winter means we have to really spend on electricity bills courtesy of the heat produced at home because, without them, we’ll freeze to death. And also because of this, winter is the time when most houses can get on fire. But even if it’s not winter season, fire can start if precautions or signs are ignored.
Fire is a devastating tragedy. But the good thing is that it can be prevented. Here is a guide we have made for you. Read on to know more.
No house is without any type of heater. Can you imagine having none during winter? Nobody can. We put our heaters on, round the clock. But sometimes, especially when the temperature is really cold, like negative cold, we turn it up even more. The same goes for houses with areas where the heat produced by the furnace and other heating devices cannot reach. Homeowners usually address this by having heaters that are plugged in. Unfortunately, all of these can cause a fire. It’s not that you should not use them. Again, who will do that during winter? You just have to be very cautious when using the heaters. Don’t place anything ignitable or combustible near them. Don’t plug portable ones on an extension wire. If you want to be extra careful, don’t sleep with any of them turned on. Better that than be sorry later. Besides, you always have your warm duvets and comforters.
If you are multitasking (which is fine) just try to remember to check in on your what you are cooking from time to time. If you think you are doing too many a task at the same time, you can put the timer on your phone or alarm so you’ll be reminded. Also, keep the potholders, towels, oils, and other flammable things away from the stove or range. Heat and fire can transfer rapidly.
All of us are guilty of plugging several devices in one outlet or one extension wire. But this can actually overburden the outlet can cause short circuits or damage the wires in other ways. It’s actually easy to tell if the wires are loaded or not. If they feel hot, then they are overworked.
Candles are great no just a décor or part of an intricately designed table setting. Most people have candles because they emit fumes (scented candles) that are therapeutic or just smell great. But if they are not used carefully, can be a major cause of a house fire. The candles aren’t the issue. It’s the way we use them. So, if you light one or more, don’t place them near curtains, pets, or children.
For more fire-related concerns, Fire and Safety Services in Lafayette can help you.